Your waistline will also enjoy this Low-fat and low-carb Thai salad.
Australian Good Taste
Recipe by Jan Purser
Photography by Mark O’Meara
- 500g boneless sirloin beef steaks, excess fat trimmed
- 1 butter lettuce, leaves separated, washed, dried, torn
- 1 large red capsicum, quartered, deseeded, cut crossways into thin strips
- 100g (1 1/2 cups) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 6 green shallots, trimmed, sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh mint
- 80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1-2 small fresh red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- Pinch of caster sugar
All nutrition values are per serve.
- Step 1Heat a chargrill or barbecue grill on medium-high. Add the beef and cook for 3-4 minutes each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Cut across the grain into thin strips. Set aside.
- Step 2Meanwhile, to make the dressing, combine the lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, chilli and sugar in a small bowl and mix well.
- Step 3Place the beef, lettuce, capsicum, bean sprouts, green shallots, coriander and mint in a large bowl. Pour over dressing and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.